Monday, July 28

Flowering Lone Star Pattern Testing

Happy Monday to you!  I hope that everyone's summer is going well!  For us, it's like summer is just screaming by, and in just 4 short weeks' time, it will be back to school for us!  This is a very sad reality for me, because it really does feel like our summer just started.

our cute kids!
I've been working hard trying to get my little quilting business up and running this summer so I'll have some quilting to do when ALL my kids go to school this fall!  This is my baby's first year of school, so I'm really excited about that!  I've had a child home with me ever since I had my first baby 21 years ago, so I feel like it's time for me to do something for me, and quilting is it!

I've also been busy working on a fun quilt that I volunteered to pattern test for Melissa, the Flowering Lone Star!


I actually loved making this pattern so much that I made two quilt tops!


The first one I made using fabrics that I've had in my stash for a REALLY long time.


The map print is an old Robert Kaufman print that I had always planned to use for a quilt for my oldest son, but I could never decide on a pattern that was just right.  


This pattern was perfect for it!  Instead of going to my son though (who's too big for it now), I'm planning to gift it to a friend's daughter that just had a baby boy.  It's not really baby-ish, but it's boy-ish, which is what I love about it!


The two plaid prints are random homespun prints that I liked with the RK print!  The red is a Kona--not sure of the color exactly!  The background is a Moda Mochi Dot, which I haven't ever used before, but I love it!  The texture is amazing!

The second quilt top I made using my collection of Amy Butler Soul Blossoms fabric.  The white is a Bella Solids bright white--I don't know the name, but I know the number is 9900-98.  Technical, huh?


This Amy Butler quilt is destined for my sewing room wall.  I can't wait to get these quilted!  Any ideas for quilting designs??


Melissa's pattern was SO SO SO fun to sew!  Her directions were really simple and full of pictures so I could follow the pattern without having to second-guess or interpret like you have to do with some patterns!  She laid everything out in baby steps, so I never felt lost!


She made it really easy to understand how to get the seams to match up perfectly too, without any headache!


The pattern sews up really fast because this is a one block quilt!  The quilt measures 50x50 inches, so it's the perfect size for a large wall hanging, a small lap quilt, or even a big-ish baby quilt.  


My first top took a couple of days to finish because I was going slow to be sure I did everything right, but I finished the second top in only a day once I knew what I was doing!


There are some Y-seams, but Melissa's instructions made it really easy to understand and execute them without any guesswork, so even if you're new to Y-seams, you won't have any problems getting them sewn up!



Thanks Melissa, for letting me test your pattern!

stitch by stitch


18 comments:

Afton Warrick said...

Wow! I have that fabric too! I used it in a compass quilt: http://aftonsquilts.blogspot.com/p/gallery.html. Scroll almost all the way to the bottom. It's above the zoo quilt that says Bryce. I even quilted anchors in metallic thread, which I will never do again since the thread kept breaking, and it was a nightmare. Nice use of the fabric for this pattern testing.

Vicki in MN said...

Nice job on the lonestar! Good for you doing something for you now!

folksmith said...

Love the Flowering Lone Star. Would love to make one. can't wait to see them quilted.

Mari said...

Wow! Both those Lone Stars are great, and I really love the Amy Butler one. I would quilt it in something swirly, but that's just me. Beautiful work.

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

Great work! I love the Amy Butler one. It will be awesome inspiration to you as you sew.

Vera said...

Your stars are great. I'm going to get the pattern once it is out for sure.

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Look at those points!!! WOW!! Beautifully done :) The quilts are great as well but I'm still amazed at the seams! haha

I think you can't go wrong with some straight line stitching, maybe following the inside of each star point out. . . or spiral. . . so many options!! :)

Vickie said...

I really like her pattern, you've done a beautiful job of showing it for her with your perfect points !

Anonymous said...

I love your Amy Butler version! That will be so beautiful to look at in your sewing room.

Lorna McMahon said...

Both tops are simply beautiful, Diane. Your points are incredible! I like the idea of doing a spiral for the quilting on these. Maybe an offset spiral? Whatever you choose, I am sure they will both turn out gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing!

Margaret said...

Very pretty--both the quilts and your family. I always love quilt pics where the sun shines through the fabric so that it looks like stained glass.

Lara B. said...

Diane, what a wonderful family you have! Of course you already know that! i felt that way about summers too, and didn't want to give my kids back when school started in the Fall.
Your Lone Stars are great! Wow what perfect seam matching! I am loving the Amy Butler quilt. Margaret is right, with the sun shining through it is looks even more awesome!

Dawn said...

Just as your summer is ending, our winter is finally coming to a close. Loved your star using the map print - it suited it down to a T.

Anonymous said...

What a great pattern! I especially love the Amy Butler version, it'll look awesome on your sewing room wall.

Melissa said...

Thank you so much for testing for me Diana! Your versions are both so lovely and some different from the other, such versatility! I hope you enjoy the two quilts!

Gill said...

Fabulous!
The AB version is my favourite!

Unknown said...

OMG I love the fabric and look of the second one. I too would want that in my sewing room. You are correct about the fabric for the first one that is amazing with the maps on it and very boy/man perfect. Great job

apple blossom said...

cool star pattern. Love the world fabric you used. nice job

ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com