Sunday, August 31

Karen's Quilt


I had the privilege of quilting this beauty a couple of weeks ago.


Karen was kind enough to take a chance on a new quilter and sent me her AMAZING quilt.


 It is beautiful, isn't it?!


She gave me some initial ideas for the quilting, and then let me go from there.


I thought some wavy lines would create some movement, and some pebbling would be fun to offset the colored rays a little bit.


This quilt was so much fun to quilt!  Karen's piecing is perfect!  Every intersection is perfect.  I also love the fabric she used.  I need to ask her what they are!  The dots on the fabric are shimmery--so cool.


The back of her quilt is amazing as well!  I love all of the colorful pieces.


The quilting looks really amazing on the back!


You can see the shimmer of the fabrics in the picture above.  Love it!


 I love that she turned these blocks and put one full circle into the quilt.  It adds a lot of flair to the quilt!


She also pieced in a half-circle too, a little farther down the quilt.


I quilted it all freehand, except for the quilting in the ditch, which I used a ruler for.


 I used Superior Sew Fine #50 thread, which allowed me to quilt pretty heavily without it getting too thready.  The batting is Hobbs 80/20.


It rained almost non-stop for two weeks here, so we took most of these pictures up on our covered front porch.  I have to give credit to my daughter Megan that held the quilt up.  I don't understand why she thinks that taking a million pictures of a quilt that she has to hold up is crazy!


 Thank you, thank you, thank you Karen for letting me quilt your AMAZING quilt!  I love how it turned out!

14 comments:

a maidenhair fern said...

What a great top to quilt. I like the direction you took the rays, and yes, the fabric is different and fun. Love the back. Congrats!

Mary Marcotte said...

Well, of course she let you quilt it! Obviously you have a talent that she saw and capitalized on. Love the quilt and the quilting. Thanks for telling us how you did it. Many bloggers don't, but I like being able to figure out what works for others. Saves me from having to learn from mistakes only.

Iris said...

It looks really great. It's great when talents bring such a synergy.

Jennifer Price said...

This quilting is amazing! Thank you for sharing.

Carole @ Fresh off the Frame said...

Congrats on a job well done. I'm sure your client is thrilled!

Marly said...

Beautiful! I especially like how you followed the direction of the coloured spokes, and echoed the circled in the white ones.

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Your quilting is gorgeous and really enhances the quilt. Your customer will be thrilled!

Wendy said...

it really is a gorgeous quilt, but you've done a great job with the quilting, it suits the quilt design so well!

Wendy said...

it really is a gorgeous quilt, but you've done a great job with the quilting, it suits the quilt design so well!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful quilting! And your quilting is amazing x

Ramona said...

Wow! What a beautiful quilt! Your quilting is perfect for the design. It really makes the blocks pop.

Unknown said...

I love the design of the quilt, the colors and the beautiful quilting!! Amazing!!!!
Love from Amsterdam
Maartje Quilt

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful quilt and your quilting really sets it off! Neat back also!

folksmith said...

Diane, OMG, i still can't believe what a beautiful job you did on my quilt. As i told you, i'm not sure why i chose those fabrics, they certainly are not my colors. you did such a marvelous job. i was so thrilled when i opened the box. you made me love the quilt. i put on the binding that evening and then we drove to Ohio to take our daughter back to college. i was able to take it to show my sister and her daughter, who both think it should be theirs...NOT. (my husband was also thrilled with the quilt.)

Diane does a terrific job, i am so glad that she is out there in Idaho. I'm working on the back to another quilt and it should be to you next week!

Thanks again Diane.